Wednesday, 05 August 2020
  6 Replies
  1.1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
As Simon said, Pier 3 uses an ASA 12n F/3.6 Corrected Newtonian scope, a Paramount ME and a FLI PL-16803 Mono CCD - 1x1 Binned. I processed 6 Ha subs and 20 OIII subs, each at 10 minutes long - an integration time of 4 hours 20 minutes.

This uses a straight RGB combination of Ha, O3, O3.

Regards

Mark NGC6888_FinalView_PI_PS.jpg
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Great work, Mark!

It's good to see that the field is relatively flat, edge-to-edge. I was concerned about that after seeing the new warning on the Pier 10 equipment page: "This is a square sensor and fitted flat across the image plane."

I like the HOO palette. I learned from Sara Wager's work by mixing Ha and OIII across color channels:
Ha: Red 85%, Green 15%
OIII: Green 35%, Blue 65%

Here is an example of what it looks like:
https://astrotuna.com/tadpole-nebula-ic-410/

I did that with my little 71mm f/5.9 Achromat under Bortle 5 skies and 7 hours total integration time. Even at that I had to capture everything at bin2 and then drizzle my way back. It's poor quality compared to what can be done at RoboScopes but at least it shows how the HOO palette can be manipulated.

Brian
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks Brian - and for the useful info.  I love Sarah's site and her work.  I have also found her very responsive when I have reached out to her which is great too!

Back here at home last night I put my ASI071MC Prop on my Primaluce Labs 80mm portable scope for the first time and pointed it at the veil complex.  I got 53 x 180s subs before maxim shut down due to astronomical dawn.  Just about to process to results.

Regards

Mark

And here are the results...

Left it running overnight and got 53 x 180s images before MaximDL Pro shut down due to astronomical dawn.  This is the first try of the ASI071MC Pro on my Primaluce Labs 80mm with a quad band filter on. I cropped the worst of the vignetting off but could have done with the field flattener that I do have but decided not to put on – doh!

NGC6960_PI_PS.jpg
Attachments (1)
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am glad to see that you have taken on this object, and well done to you for your work! There are a number of different palettes out there as you know, similar to Brian's, but like you I too opted for the standard HOO. I use blink in pixinsight to assess the individual subs and I wondered if that was what you do. I found a few of the subs slightly out of focus but I ended up using them anyway, I wondered if you had. Have a good night Mark! Thanks... Simon
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Simon

Thanks for the comment!  I must admit I used all the subs without checking.  At first I used to use SubFrameSelector in PixInsight to measure the quality of images and always found that the lower quality images were still very good quality data, so I have stopped checking.

Have a good weekend!

Regards

Mark
Votes
Undo
Hi Mark, 

Liking this with so much of the oxygen data being present, really clear to see along the leading edge. I'm not sure that at the present time checking the sub frames for anything other than focus issues, would make much difference to what I do. Keep the images coming. 

Regards, 
Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Ha is so much stronger than OIII in general. I really do like your balance outside the main nebula, leisurely floating in space. Strong SII is even more challenging.

I really like your image, Mark.
Brian
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road