Wednesday, 17 May 2023
  40 Replies
  1.8K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Hi all for June competition we have used Pier-11 with a combination of standards OSC subs and the new dual band HA/OIII & SII/HB filters

We will release the data in about a week so keep checking this post for updates...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3Hrs of OSC data
  • 2Hrs Data using the new Askar HA/OIII Antlia Alp-T 5nm
  • 2Hrs Data using the new Askar SII/HB Antlia Alp-T 5nm

The data will be available on the server HERE for all members to download later this evening and the competition winner will be chosen the 1st week of May

Competition rules are simple and as follows:

• You must be a member of the Roboscopes forum area to enter the competition (don’t worry its free to join)
  • Your processed image must be posted in our forum competition thread

• If you post your final image elsewhere, you must state that the image was processed using free competition data from Roboscopes
  • Nobody associated directly with Roboscopes can win although they may enter for the fun of it

Roboscopes will supply the un-calibrated image subs, calibration frames including darks, Bias & Flats where appropriate for you to download from our “Nexus” image portal, one of the Roboscopes team* will choose the winners at the the beginning of each month, hopefully some of you may also be interested in becoming judges :)

The winner will receive 5 free hours data on the chosen pier for that months competition, worth upto €250. We have 7 piers to choose from so each month we will choose one at random, including our big 17" Planewave.

The runner up will receive a €30 Imaging voucher to spend with us.

If you are new to Roboscopes then you will need to join our site, please go to our memberships page HERE in order to join as a free member, this will then allow you access to the downloads and calibration folders area.

Just add your image using the image uploader at the base of your post and the maximum image size for upload is 20MB

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

It's starting to look like it's not possible to post anymore competition entries to this thread.  :(

Well, that ought to make judging a lot easier. :) 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi all, try reuploading your images now.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Is it working again?

Attachments (1)
10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hopefully working now..  as per per the blurb above..

for the nebulosity:

I have used the Sii, Oiii, 75% of H alpha and 25% of H beta to produce a hubble palette view, then when i processed the RGB data I saw that that had a little more tonal variation than I had expected, so I mixed the RGB nebulosity frame with the hubble (75% hubble, 25% RGB)

Then RGB stars

That was fun!  Thanks All

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

This month's competition is using data captured from Ngc7000, popularly known as the North American nebula, due to a passing resemblence to that Continent. I'm starting to think that maybe some of the entrants when composing their image may have been looking at a World Atlas upside-down.  Also, it's a bit concerning that The Pelican appears to be on its head. Just be thankful I'm not one of the judges. :) 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

I had a lot of fun working on this data. I went for sharp and to see how much Sii and Hb I could get from Askar SII/HB while using all available channels of data.

Stacked with Astro Pixel Processor
Processed with PixInsight and Affinity Photo.

And thank you again for make the such great data available.

Daniel

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

This month's competition is using data captured from Ngc7000, popularly known as the North American nebula, due to a passing resemblence to that Continent. I'm starting to think that maybe some of the entrants when composing their image may have been looking at a World Atlas upside-down.  Also, it's a bit concerning that The Pelican appears to be on its head. Just be thankful I'm not one of the judges. :) 

But - that is just a single way at looking at the world, why should the atlas have north at the top? ;) - how dull the world would be if everything was done the same.  Each one of us who has published an entry to this has very different takes in colour balance , what data to use and how far the image has been stretched -that is what makes this type of thing interestting- so why not challenge the norm on framing. 

In my opinion as a photographer, there is something a little more interesting  compositionally in having the pelican and north america "upside down" as it makes the observer look for other things in the images rather than wondering if it is actually a pelican......

As Ender Wiggins says in Ender's Game there is no such thing as up in space.......

I was going to hold off on some of my more challenging interpretations of thiese data, but hold on to your hats!

CS 

Paul

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thanks for the great data Steve. I think removing the focal reducer has made a great improvement to the stars in particular. It will be interesting to compare this scope to the replacement on pier 14, which I'm looking forward to.

Aside from  the garish choice of colour palette, this was an attempt to extract as much detail as possible, particularly the stars in the IC5067 part of the image. I hope this does justice to that great scope.

CS and cheers

Attachments (1)

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

hi everybody. Here is my interpretation of the data. I have used all bands HA, Oiii, SII and HB filters and integrated them to one image in Pixinsight. Of course I used the OSC data for stars.

The filters are great. Thanks a lot for this data set.

Attachments (1)
10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Whoo what a competition challenge this time. Loved to watch the multiple beautiful and diverse results as they appeared over time. Finally managed to figure out the correct calibration files and get the data stacked myself (after couple of PC crashes). Then tried to fiddle around with the data in order to achieve an interesting, unique and quite detailed image, which shows off how much information is included in the filter datasets of this fun yet also quite hard competition.

Enjoy and good luck everybody. Jury - have fun!

CS

Martin

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

It's a really interesting set of data - images from an OSC camera with dual band filters. I rarely work with this combination, but with good quality data we can achieve great results. Usually, when I process images taken with narrowband filters, I create multiple versions and often have problems selecting the best one from them. It's no different this time. I'd like to share with you my interpretation of this data set.

CS

Marek

Attachments (1)
9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Late to the party, but here is my version of the processed NGC7000 data.  A nice set of data to work with once I got all the right files downloaded (user error abounded!).  

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Excuse me, but when can we expect the result of the competition? The following month is almost over

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Excuse me, but when can we expect the result of the competition? The following month is almost over

We hope to make the announcement in one or two days.

Regards

Manuel

Manuel
Roboscopes General Technical

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you all for taking part in the June Roboscopes competition. The overall standard of processing was high which made judging very difficult.

After much discussion the Roboscopes team have came to the following decision.

First place winner is Marekidec for his bold processing approach, and a very close second was nurv who used the natural colour in a very well executed image.

1. Marekidec will receive 5hrs of free data for Pier 6, please DM Peter and he will input your job into the system.
2. Nurv will receive a €30 voucher in the next few days.

Congratulations to the winners and thank you once again to everyone who took part. Look out for our next competition in the coming weeks.

CS
Manuel

Manuel
Roboscopes General Technical

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Well done to all, and thanks once again to the RoboTeam for giving us this awesome competition to enjoy.

Here I present our collective masterpiece: a straight average of all 11 entries.  I hope you like it as much as I do, and I already know everyone is looking forward to next month's comp as much as I am.

CS!

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Congratulations, was very difficult for us to judge....such a high standard of processing...well done Marekidec  and nurv 

Peter Shah - Collimation & Telescope servicing.
Visit my personal imaging website at astropix.co.uk
For Image Processing Tutorials

We can supply your new high quality Newtonian or Dall Kirkham Astrograph

Peter Shah
Roboscopes Observatory Controller

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

It was the first time I worked with data from four narrowband filters, and I experimented with colors to show as many details as possible. The result was, well, colorful :-)

Thank you for the recognition.

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Nice work,

Make sure to also post on Astrobin and other astro sites.

Daniel

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you all. And thanks to Roboscopes for the excellent source material. It was a great pleasure for me to edit the picture.

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham