Wednesday, 17 May 2023
  40 Replies
  1.8K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Hi all for June competition we have used Pier-11 with a combination of standards OSC subs and the new dual band HA/OIII & SII/HB filters

We will release the data in about a week so keep checking this post for updates...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 3Hrs of OSC data
  • 2Hrs Data using the new Askar HA/OIII Antlia Alp-T 5nm
  • 2Hrs Data using the new Askar SII/HB Antlia Alp-T 5nm

The data will be available on the server HERE for all members to download later this evening and the competition winner will be chosen the 1st week of May

Competition rules are simple and as follows:

• You must be a member of the Roboscopes forum area to enter the competition (don’t worry its free to join)
  • Your processed image must be posted in our forum competition thread

• If you post your final image elsewhere, you must state that the image was processed using free competition data from Roboscopes
  • Nobody associated directly with Roboscopes can win although they may enter for the fun of it

Roboscopes will supply the un-calibrated image subs, calibration frames including darks, Bias & Flats where appropriate for you to download from our “Nexus” image portal, one of the Roboscopes team* will choose the winners at the the beginning of each month, hopefully some of you may also be interested in becoming judges :)

The winner will receive 5 free hours data on the chosen pier for that months competition, worth upto €250. We have 7 piers to choose from so each month we will choose one at random, including our big 17" Planewave.

The runner up will receive a €30 Imaging voucher to spend with us.

If you are new to Roboscopes then you will need to join our site, please go to our memberships page HERE in order to join as a free member, this will then allow you access to the downloads and calibration folders area.

Just add your image using the image uploader at the base of your post and the maximum image size for upload is 20MB

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

as far as I see, there is no data right now?

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Pete will have it checked over this weekend then it will be put into the folder :)

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Isn't the second Antlia filter actually SII/HB? I am really curious about the performance of this filter.

Thank you,

Daniel

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Here is my interpretation of the data. I have used all bands fromt he HaOiii and SiiHb filters and integrated as SHaOHb. I used the OSC data for stars.

The filters are great, yet some blue halos form around bright stars, especially with the SiiHb filter, which were are challenging to process in this case. Anyhow, the filters perform very well on such targets.

Also, I found out that by using SHaOHb, I could bring out a small nebula that has no name yet in SIMBAD, as far as I could see (see second image).

Cheers

Manuel

Manuel
Roboscopes General Technical

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Is it normal that I can't see the data yet? I still only see the M81 data in the folder.

CS

Darius

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

I can´t see the data too - so it´s a little bit strange that manuelcp can see it. 

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Actually I found the data in another folder to which I have access... Phil will be moving it to where it actually belongs as soon as he can.

Apologies for the confusion, I had not paid attention...

CS
Manuel

Manuel
Roboscopes General Technical

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi all,

The competition data is now in the folder ready for you to use :)

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

I just downloaded the latest "flats" for P11 but there is no filter information in the fits header. Where flats taken for the two new filters?

Thank you,

Daniel

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

I should have hit refresh, found the flats.

Daniel

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Now that my brain is working and I found the new P11 flats, I am curious what is the difference between the RGB flats and the OSC flats, is there an actual different filter used or is this just a different label for the filter wheel?

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Evening

The wheels fitted with:

• OSC = No filter standard colour imaging
  • RGB Filter = Standard colour with enhanced Narrowband response
  • HA OIII Filter = Dual Narrowband
  • HB SII Filter = Dual Narrowband

I hope that helps

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

I triple checked my dylexia and the P11 darks folder has P10 and attached an image of what I am seeing.

Attachments (1)
10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

I triple checked my dylexia and the P11 darks folder has P10 and attached an image of what I am seeing.

Hello Daniel,

I assume that this is just an error in the naming of the files. I have calibrated the competition data with these darks and it worked fine for me. Also, the darks have a resolution of 6000 x 4000 pixels. That speaks for the P11 camera. The P10 camera has a resolution of 9000 x 6000 pixels according to the info on the website.

CS
Darius

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

loving the detail from these data

especially the filter - Ha/HB  is this correctly labelled?  The intensity of HB looks to be proportional to that of Ha from the HA/Oiii filter - so i am assuming that it is H Beta

The red channel of the Ha/HB is not the same as red from Ha/Oiii - so is it actually representing the Sii ?

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

loving the detail from these data

especially the filter - Ha/HB  is this correctly labelled?  The intensity of HB looks to be proportional to that of Ha from the HA/Oiii filter - so i am assuming that it is H Beta

The red channel of the Ha/HB is not the same as red from Ha/Oiii - so is it actually representing the Sii ?

The wheels fitted with:

• OSC = No filter standard colour imaging
  • RGB Filter = Standard colour with enhanced Narrowband response
  • HA OIII Filter = Dual Narrowband
  • HB SII Filter = Dual Narrowband

I hope that helps

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Another month, another fascinating and challenging dataset! For me the biggest question was what to do with the Sii-Hb data - to be honest I had never heard of an H-beta filter until this month's competition was announced :)

In the end I mixed up a cocktail of the narrowband layers that I felt showed some data from each of the 4 gases, and then blended a starless version of this layer with the OSC data. Note: I ran StarXterminator on the narrowband data while still in linear form, and that seemed to deal with any halo issues.

I was grateful for Manuel's image to use as a reference. It showed just how much detail was on offer and inspired me to push the data a lot further than I normally would have, resulting in a far improved image over what my standard processing method was producing. Always something new to learn in this game :)

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

This month I find the competition particularly exciting. There are several ways to process and combine the data. The first results of the participants confirm this. Each image looks completely different from the other images in terms of colors. So you can see what is possible with the data.

I decided to use a classic Hubble palette for the processing. For this I did a ChannelExtractin in Pixinsight on the Ha-Oiii and Ha-Hb data. Then combined again as a Hubble palette. For this I used the following data:

Ha-HB-Red = Sii
Ha-Oiii-Red = Ha
Ha-Oiii-Blue = Oiii

I had a lot of fun with the contest again this month and am already looking forward to the next contest. I would also like to thank the Roboscopes team for making these competitions possible.

CS
Darius

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

What fab data - I have gone a little more traditional....

for the nebulosity:

I have used the Sii, Oiii, 75% of H alpha and 25% of H beta to produce a hubble palette view, then when i processed the RGB data I saw that that had a little more tonal variation than I had expected, so I mixed the RGB nebulosity frame with the hubble (75% hubble, 25% RGB)

Then RGB stars

That was fun!  Thanks All

10 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

does help if I get the upload to work!

What fab data - I have gone a little more traditional....

for the nebulosity:

I have used the Sii, Oiii, 75% of H alpha and 25% of H beta to produce a hubble palette view, then when i processed the RGB data I saw that that had a little more tonal variation than I had expected, so I mixed the RGB nebulosity frame with the hubble (75% hubble, 25% RGB)

Then RGB stars

That was fun!  Thanks All

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham