Wednesday, 02 March 2022
  34 Replies
  1.8K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Hello all 

i propose to launch a 2 pane mosaic of the blue horsenebula

it is very low on the horizon , max at 32degre .  Steve , is ti possible ? 

i assume that orienation is still 90degre for the camera ? 

last year Ophiu nebula was done so i think it is ok 

i propose to first launch L data to test and then rgb 

florent

Pane, RA, DEC, Position Angle (East), Pane width (arcmins), Pane height (arcmins), Overlap, Row, Column
Pane 1, 16hr 18' 12", -19º 29' 36", 90.00, 211.20, 139.20, 25%, 1, 1
Pane 2, 16hr 10' 48", -19º 29' 36", 90.00, 211.20, 139.20, 25%, 2, 1

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi All,

It is a shame we are having problems with this target it would make a great image. 

Given where we are today, I would support Ray's suggestion of a single frame. We are much more likely to get something that way. The two-pane option is better from a framing and completeness point of view, but we run a bigger risk of not getting a viable image before the window closes.

The single frame captures the main features the way Ray has framed it. So that is my preference.

However, if most people want to attempt the two-pane mosaic, I am OK with that.

Thanks for your feedback Ray and Richard,

I have pushed the "luminance" on the Telescope simulator and think that a single frame taken this way will cut the poor horse's ears off and bump its snout ...  So I have a compromise to offer:

a. Priority 1: single frame with a little bit less ears, and a clear snout -- would make for a nice image.

b. Priority 2: the lower pane to complete the ears. This can be done if conditions OK, else we can ask for it in 2023 and then augment our single-pane image.

Here are the new coordinates that would enable this solution:

Pane 1  16 14 27  -19 11 15
Pane 2  16 14 27  -21 01 39

What do you think? Acceptable compromise?

All the best

Manuel

Manuel
Roboscopes General Technical

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thanks Richard and Steve for your rapid responses. I may have an alternative but inferior compromise. This however would not impact upon this pier.

Much will depend upon the data I receive back from pier 11 and how good it turns out. Last night 3 of the 4 hours I requested were captured, however, according to the weather site I use, there was almost 100 pcent high clouds. Not good for something like this particularly when low in the sky as well.

This job is the frame I just attached but using the OSC on pier 11. It will not be as good as that taken on pier 14, but, better than nothing. When it completes and I get a chance to process it and bears a slight resemblance to a horse, I'll post the image. I'm sure that Steve wouldn't then mind sharing the dataset with the members. 

Please don't put too much reliance on this and still let us know your thoughts. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

Hi Ray, Richard and Steve,

just posted a compromise option ... what do you think?

Cheers

Manuel

Manuel

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi All,

It is a shame we are having problems with this target it would make a great image. 

Given where we are today, I would support Ray's suggestion of a single frame. We are much more likely to get something that way. The two-pane option is better from a framing and completeness point of view, but we run a bigger risk of not getting a viable image before the window closes.

The single frame captures the main features the way Ray has framed it. So that is my preference.

However, if most people want to attempt the two-pane mosaic, I am OK with that.

Thanks for your feedback Ray and Richard,

I have pushed the "luminance" on the Telescope simulator and think that a single frame taken this way will cut the poor horse's ears off and bump its snout ...  So I have a compromise to offer:

a. Priority 1: single frame with a little bit less ears, and a clear snout -- would make for a nice image.

b. Priority 2: the lower pane to complete the ears. This can be done if conditions OK, else we can ask for it in 2023 and then augment our single-pane image.

Here are the new coordinates that would enable this solution:

Pane 1  16 14 27  -19 11 15
Pane 2  16 14 27  -21 01 39

What do you think? Acceptable compromise?

All the best

Manuel

You are right. That is a very nice compromise. I am happy to go with that. I like solutions where there is a Plan B if things don't go as we hope.

Thank you for your efforts on finding a way forward with this intriguing target.

Votes
Undo

I agree with Richard to go with that. It gives the best option so far. Capture a better aligned first pane, and if time allows complete the mosaic by submitting the second set of coordinates. 

That's my vote, so assuming that Manuel also agrees :), I make that 3 votes out of 3.

Cheers guys, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

Votes
Undo

Update :

If anyone looks at syndicate submissions for pier 14 right now and wonders what I've done, blame it on, or rather, thank Steve. :) He made a great suggestion to submit it right away to make use of the skies right now and while the moon is not yet going to interfere. I agreed so have done so, but have limited it to initially collecting luminance data, 3 hours worth.

Tomorrow when there is more time for discussion on the RGB exposures, then that can be submitted then.

Cheers,

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

I agree with Richard to go with that. It gives the best option so far. Capture a better aligned first pane, and if time allows complete the mosaic by submitting the second set of coordinates. 

That's my vote, so assuming that Manuel also agrees :), I make that 3 votes out of 3.

Cheers guys, 

Ray 

I do of agree ... of course.  

Cheers

Manuel

Manuel

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Update :

If anyone looks at syndicate submissions for pier 14 right now and wonders what I've done, blame it on, or rather, thank Steve. :) He made a great suggestion to submit it right away to make use of the skies right now and while the moon is not yet going to interfere. I agreed so have done so, but have limited it to initially collecting luminance data, 3 hours worth.

Tomorrow when there is more time for discussion on the RGB exposures, then that can be submitted then.

Cheers,

Ray 

Good morning everyone,

that is *super* news! Many thanks Steve!

As to the RGB channels, should we collect the same numbers and durations as in the original submission?

Kind regards

Manuel 

Manuel

Votes
Undo

Thanks Manuel for the suggestion.

We were kind of hoping that some data would have been collected last night, but alas the algorithm chose what it thought best. I dare not argue. :)

I agree to go with the original RGB exposure times but too lazy at the moment to find out what they were. Does anyone know off the top of their head what they were and maybe submit them, or, let me know them and whether or not they would like me to make the submission.

Best regards,

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

We were kind of hoping that some data would have been collected last night, but alas the algorithm chose what it thought best. I dare not argue. :)

I agree to go with the original RGB exposure times but too lazy at the moment to find out what they were. Does anyone know off the top of their head what they were and maybe submit them, or, let me know them and whether or not they would like me to make the submission.

Best regards,

Ray 

It did try but we had a weird failure about 2/3am with the mount which caused it to park up and not image another sausage for the rest of the night. Otherwise it would have take 66% of the data set. So a frustrated Steve :(

Still these things do happen from time to time so I can only try!

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Best regards,

Ray 

It did try but we had a weird failure about 2/3am with the mount which caused it to park up and not image another sausage for the rest of the night. Otherwise it would have take 66% of the data set. So a frustrated Steve :(

Still these things do happen from time to time so I can only try!

Steve

Hi Steve, well things happen ... let's hope for tonight ...

Hi Ray, I will find out tonight/tomorrow morning (when I am back home) what the RGB parameters were and get back to you all.

Cheers

Manuel

Manuel

Votes
Undo

Hi Manuel,

That's okay, they were 30 x 180s for all 3 filters. I'll submit that shortly.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Manuel,

That's okay, they were 30 x 180s for all 3 filters. I'll submit that shortly.

Cheers,

Ray

Thanks a lot Ray!

Cheers

Manuel

Manuel

Votes
Undo

This is the result from pier 11 with a OSC camera. This represents half of what has been booked, but still does give an idea of the fov. The framing does come very close to the snout, but does not appear to cut anything off. This image is centred at DEC -19 24 00 so taking one frame at DEC -19 11 15, as suggested, will lift the snout a bit while removing the equivalent amount from the top. 

This image has been calibrated, slightly cropped, background extracted using ABE in pixinsight and noise reduction applied. Finally it has been stretched.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

Votes
Undo

Hi, 

Just a follow up after speaking to the guvnor about it. 

The attached image is basically what one would start from, after calibration, cropping and stretching. The only additional process in the attached image being some noise reduction. Even with only half of the data collected so far there is scope to process it into a reasonable image. I'm sure someone like the guvnor could make a pretty decent one. There is more data to be collected and when received I'll post an updated image. 

I had mentioned earlier in this thread, that subject to approval from the guvnor, I'd be more than happy to have this data shared with the Syndicate members. I was kind of hoping that this would be an acceptable compromise for now to all of the members interested in this, and that the current submission and planned second pane to capture the ears could be cancelled and postponed until next year.

This would help with the pier queue which I'm sure will be added to in the coming weeks. There is currently just under 170 hours still to be collected, which would increase if data needs to be recaptured. Comments welcomed. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham