New

IC1396

Monday, 31 July 2023
  8 Replies
  400 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

I've been working on this the whole weekend, I just love the range of colour in this object. A three panel mosaic of IC1396 The Elephant Trunk Nebula. Imaged with Pier9.........Imaged at 1x1 software binned 2x2...exposure time was only 40mins in each RGB channel for each panel, all 60s unguided
Thanks for looking
Peter Shah

Peter Shah - Collimation & Telescope servicing.
Visit my personal imaging website at astropix.co.uk
For Image Processing Tutorials

We can supply your new high quality Newtonian or Dall Kirkham Astrograph

Peter Shah
Roboscopes Observatory Controller

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Wow Wow Wow

Did you video your work flow?

That would be worth a subscription to a private video tutorial!

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Peter, 

Another masterpiece and time very well spent. I think that even dear old Steve with his penchant for objets exotiques must admit that this depiction of a 'done to death' target is a winner.

Not just displaying your well known technical skills, but also something I have so little of and not something I believe can be be easily taught, artistic talent. Dark gorgeous colours and a real sense of mystery. Really deserving of an iotd in Astrobin, surely?

There are more and more superb images being posted these days on the forum and illustrated none more so than those entered in the recent competition.

Keep those images coming people and share them here. 

Cheers and CS

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Wow is right.  I have seen lots of images of the Elephant Trunk but those colors..!

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

60 second subs... Here's me thinking I was on point with 120s!

Awesome stuff Pete. Love RGB. Am I right in thinking no Lum?

“There are no bad pictures; that's just how your face looks sometimes.”

― Abraham Lincoln

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Thank you for the comments...I am very pleased with it.

Wow is right.  I have seen lots of images of the Elephant Trunk but those colors..!

As I was processing I though it was a gradient and almost processed it out...but soon realised its real colour from the object.

Peter, 

Another masterpiece and time very well spent. I think that even dear old Steve with his penchant for objets exotiques must admit that this depiction of a 'done to death' target is a winner.

Not just displaying your well known technical skills, but also something I have so little of and not something I believe can be be easily taught, artistic talent. Dark gorgeous colours and a real sense of mystery. Really deserving of an iotd in Astrobin, surely?

There are more and more superb images being posted these days on the forum and illustrated none more so than those entered in the recent competition.

Keep those images coming people and share them here. 

Cheers and CS

Ray 

Thanks Ray... The fact the subs are only 60s and there just 40mins worth just shows how different Cmos is to CCD....very difficult to break the habit especially when Ive been using CCD for so long

attached is an example of software binning in action  from this data set

Wow Wow Wow

Did you video your work flow?

That would be worth a subscription to a private video tutorial!

No didn't video it...but that how I earn my money these days doing processing tutorials

Peter Shah

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

60 second subs... Here's me thinking I was on point with 120s!

Awesome stuff Pete. Love RGB. Am I right in thinking no Lum?

Just RGB no luminance....Manuel the clever man he is has been doing a lot of work on this subject...he will be posting his findings when he is done...I think you will be surprised

Peter Shah

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Well done Peter!  I'm just loving these true colour nebulae...  I really need to know how you get so much noise reduction out of the Bin...  Is it just a straight downsample, or some setting I can try in WBPP maybe?

9 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Well done Peter!  I'm just loving these true colour nebulae...  I really need to know how you get so much noise reduction out of the Bin...  Is it just a straight downsample, or some setting I can try in WBPP maybe?

Thank you Anunnaki, 

I don't use WBPP as it doesn't calibrate the way I like to if I am being honest....Its a great script and does take so much of the pain out of calibration and in truth is good enough for most things.

Unfortunately there is nothing in WBPP at the moment that allows you to do Software Binning and straight downsample is inadequate, a pixel math routine is needed to do the job properly. There is quite a bit of misinformation on this subject and what people think is software binning actually isn't.

I've just put a short post about Software binning you may or may not find interesting.

https://www.roboscopes.com/index.php/forum/to-bin-or-not-to-bin-that-is-the-question

Thanks 

Peter

Peter Shah

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road