Thursday, 23 November 2023
  7 Replies
  284 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Two pane mosaic of NGC 1499 from Pier 5 using OSC camera and Ha/O3 filter (NGC1499_final_resize.jpg). From Jobs 2373 and 2374.

90 subs from 2373, but only 63 from 2374 due to a focus problem.

All processed in Pixinsight.

The image shows a small amount of O3, but not as much as might be hoped.

Others have noted that if your O3 signal is strong and balances the Ha, a dual band filter with an OSC camera gives a good result. If the Ha is strong, then leakage into the green and blue channels can overwhelm the O3 signal. That is what seems to be happening here (OSC RGB Response and Dual Narrowband Filters - Experienced Deep Sky Imaging - Cloudy Nights).

Compare this result with a previous version done with a mono camera and narrowband filters (NGC1499.jpg).

Votes
Undo

Hi Richard, you did a really good job on the image. Unfortunately my Pier 5 membership didn't last long enough to get the datasets. That's why I'm all the more pleased to see a finished image.

CS

Darius

5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hello Richard, 

Thanks for the link to that thread, interesting. :) 

I recall an attempt on pier 14 many, many moons ago to image ngc1499. The oxygen was so weak that you ended up posting a HSS image instead. That confirms just how demanding an o3 target this is. There are suggestions in the thread on things to try, but I wonder if using less ha integration time when combining might yield any improvement at all. If so, then for such targets much more integration time might be needed just for the o3. 

CS and LH (low humidity),

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Nice image Richard!  Pier 5 really showing its power in bringing a lovely "3D" texture to the nebula and a super clean background...

Regarding boosting a faint O3 signal: recently one of our fellow members on RS put me on to Bill Blanshan's NarrowbandNormalization script. This has really worked wonders in "bringing the blue" to images taken from my backyard OSC setup.  The companion video does a great job explaining how to implement the script and what the various settings are for.  Simple and powerful really...

5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi all

From memory 1499 is also strong in Sulphur so using the SII/OIII dual band actually gives you two bites at the O3 cherry whilst collecting the signal for a SHO palette.

OSC CMOS tend to be less sensitive in blue anyway

There is plenty of time left for gathering data on NGC1499 so why not try SII and get some bonus OIII. What you got to loose at F/2.8 speeds :)

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi all

From memory 1499 is also strong in Sulphur so using the SII/OIII dual band actually gives you two bites at the O3 cherry whilst collecting the signal for a SHO palette.

OSC CMOS tend to be less sensitive in blue anyway

There is plenty of time left for gathering data on NGC1499 so why not try SII and get some bonus OIII. What you got to loose at F/2.8 speeds :)

Steve

Done. Jobs 2430 and 2431

5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Nice image Richard!  Pier 5 really showing its power in bringing a lovely "3D" texture to the nebula and a super clean background...

Regarding boosting a faint O3 signal: recently one of our fellow members on RS put me on to Bill Blanshan's NarrowbandNormalization script. This has really worked wonders in "bringing the blue" to images taken from my backyard OSC setup.  The companion video does a great job explaining how to implement the script and what the various settings are for.  Simple and powerful really...

Thanks Ray. I will check that out.

5 months ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Richard 

It was Anunnaki who posted that useful information about the NarrowbandNormalizationScript from Bill Blanshan, so I too want to thank him for making me aware of it as well. If it enables you to pull more of the oxygen out without the need for more integration time, perhaps you'll post a newer image for us. 

So much new stuff these days it's hard to try and keep up.

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road