Latest Announcement: On Going Site Upgrades & Data Sharing View Post
  Saturday, 13 March 2021
  36 Replies
  275 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
So with the first new datasets I have received, my first attempts at unguided narrowband image processing (that is, with no one who knows what they are doing looking over my shoulder). Just a quick couple of versions using the Hubble palette.

NGC2244 NB1.png

NGC2244 NB2.png

Not great, but hey - it's my first time.

We captured equal amounts of Ha, O3 and SII, but the bulk of the signal is in the Ha. There was some in the S2, but very little that could be seen in O3. I found it difficult to stop an SHO image being entirely green, but I could not find another mapping that gave me a reasonable starting point.

I might try some bicolour images with just Ha and SII.

Anyway, I have made a start. Onwards and upwards.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Submission 20 is now up guys - submission 285 is currently uploading to temp folder so you won't see that yet.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

Votes
Undo
Hi Richard,

Oops, I got that wrong. I should have said NGC7822 and not the Veil.

As a matter of interest, when you used LinearFit, what channel did you select as the 'master'?  I've seen recommendations that suggest using the strongest stack and others recommend using the weakest. 
Whatever you chose has worked out fine anyway. I'll leave that dataset for now and await the rest of the data. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Richard,

Oops, I got that wrong. I should have said NGC7822 and not the Veil.

As a matter of interest, when you used LinearFit, what channel did you select as the 'master'?  I've seen recommendations that suggest using the strongest stack and others recommend using the weakest. 
Whatever you chose has worked out fine anyway. I'll leave that dataset for now and await the rest of the data. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

I used OIII as the master reference. The twin problems are (as I understand it) if you Linearfit to the Ha you increase the noise from the other filters. If you Linearfit to OIII or SII you reduce the Ha signal, meaning you have to stretch the combined image further. Certainly, the overall signal in the Channel Combination was so low that some tools like Local Histogram Equalisation freaked out and Photometric Colour Correction just refused to work at all.

I'll have a play with a few more options over the coming days.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Honestly

It's self assigned as I prefer being the unassuming engine behind the scenes and have since a teenager refered to myself as the "Teaboy"  in my proffesional life :)

It's better to be humble and keep under the radar in my opinion!

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Honestly

It's self assigned as I prefer being the unassuming engine behind the scenes and have since a teenager refered to myself as the "Teaboy"  in my proffesional life :)

It better to be humble and keep under the radar in my opinion!

Doesn't really work. Everyone knows the mild-mannered self-effacing person in the background is secretly the superhero!
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The superhero in this instance would be me :)

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
No, as you are what's refered to as an Anchor

As in I would be all at sea without you :)

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

Votes
Undo
Sorry guys,

Never intended to cause any disharmony within the crew guys. You all get my vote. 

An anchor?  More like the engine room with you at the helm.

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry guys,

Never intended to cause any disharmony within the crew guys. You all get my vote. 

An anchor?  More like the engine room with you at the helm.

Ray 

You never Ray, I was letting Phil know he is invaluable to the project :)

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

Votes
Undo
And Peter as the essential navigator. 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I had another go at the Cone/Christmas tree area. Is this better? It is certainly less green!

FinishXmasTree(med).png

I would be interested to know what everyone's general NB workflow is.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
As I always say colour is subjective, however  for me personally you have a far more appealing colour & tonal range to this image :)

Steve

PS
Phil got spell check working on my PC with the forum so I will  be a simple buffoon rather than spelling like an imbecile. My sentences may finally make more sense to the rest of you  :)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
As I always say colour is subjective, however  for me personally you have a far more appealing colour & tonal range to this image :)

Steve

PS
Phil got spell check working on my PC with the forum so I will  be a simple buffoon rather than spelling like an imbecile. My sentences may finally make more sense to the rest of you  :)

Thanks Steve. I also prefer this one. I am not sure I know what I am doing, but this looked OK so I stopped. Wish I knew more!
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I added some O3 and S2 to this project to get the recommended balance so we now have 240 sec x Ha:30 - O3:45 - S2:60.

I have reprocessed the data from scratch and ended up here:

Xmastree1.jpg

Cropping gives a more interesting image:

Xmastree2.jpg

There is probably more that could be done (it was a sort of processing random walk), but I think these are quite nice.
Votes
Undo
Richard,

That's fabulous. The cropped version is the one I prefer, with less background to distract from the main target. Some interesting shapes there. To be honest it's not something I've had much interest in before, having seen a few not so inspiring images posted in magazines. This though, a definite for the gallery I reckon. Just hope I can get something close. 

Regards your other post, I've had many frustrating times loading images to the forum believe me. Often it's the size, or it's Photoshop messing with the image's exif data, not the forum itself. 

Cheers,

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
In all honesty the images section of the forum will be getting closed down eventually as the gallery will be taking the mantle instead.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham