Latest Announcement: On Going Site Upgrades & Data Sharing View Post
  Saturday, 13 March 2021
  36 Replies
  276 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
So with the first new datasets I have received, my first attempts at unguided narrowband image processing (that is, with no one who knows what they are doing looking over my shoulder). Just a quick couple of versions using the Hubble palette.

NGC2244 NB1.png

NGC2244 NB2.png

Not great, but hey - it's my first time.

We captured equal amounts of Ha, O3 and SII, but the bulk of the signal is in the Ha. There was some in the S2, but very little that could be seen in O3. I found it difficult to stop an SHO image being entirely green, but I could not find another mapping that gave me a reasonable starting point.

I might try some bicolour images with just Ha and SII.

Anyway, I have made a start. Onwards and upwards.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well done Richard :)

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

Votes
Undo
Richard,

That’s excellent. Really like the colours in the lower image. I struggle whenever in that situation when there is a predominance of green or another colour from the strongest stack, normally ha, as in the top one you show. I usually end up with a ton of noise if I try and expand the colour range. So congratulations and I guess being a weekend helped with getting it done so quickly. With a few more images posted like that, and those done by Peter, hopefully they'll generate more interest in this syndicate. 

I think one frame of the Markarians Chain mosaic completed overnight as well. :) 

I've been working on LBN878 but need to address an issue with the stack of blue subs. Not sure what to do to deal with the large stars and halos.

Best regards,

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Richard looks a good image to me to be fair :)

Re the green cast

This is not definitive or a scientific answer but on most subjects that are good with hubble pallete work kinda a little like this as an example

10 hours HA =
17-20 hours SII
12-15hrs OII due to most imaging detectors being baised towards green sensitivity in the main

As i said its not scientific in any shape or form but it will stop the HA swamping you image as well as save you wasting good imaging time collecting an uneeded strong HA signal, Alternatively for now just add less HA to the stack LOL

I hope that helps and if its info you are already aware of then please ignore me :)

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Steve,

I now realise that. I should have thought a bit harder about the collection ratio for the different filters, but in the first fine rapture and excitement I just banged in all the jobs with equal numbers of subs to 'see what happened'. If I had spent a little time reading up first I would have realised the problem I was setting up for myself.

For future job submissions I will make the change, but the problem is that I now have a significant number of jobs in the queue with not enough OIII and SII relative to Ha. Should we cancel these out and resubmit, add new jobs for the additional OII and SII, or is it possible to edit a job that is in the queue, but not yet started?

By the way, the View Submissions option is not working. The table headers are there, but no data. It was definitely working yesterday.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Richard

I understand now and did not realise this is what you had done, don’t worry 99% of astronomers are still doing this one for many years so at least you were quick to realise so kudos to you :)

However, if you add more data to the other two channels you may invoke the rule of diminishing returns on the image as a whole

So, your options are:

1, leave existing orders as is and from now on invoke new rule :)

2, add extra to other channels

3, jobs not started already, delete and re put back in with new acquisition rules

If you ever need a pointer re imaging times on an object just mail me and if I can help I will :)

There are scientific approaches to how much on each filter as you know but for now what I suggested above re integration times is the equivalent to "a 100 politicians at the bottom of the sea" (as in a darn good start) :) :)

Steve

On another note its great to see data flowing and stable weather :)

Would you be kind enough to add a couple of jobs in broadband that are above 30º in the east once its dark please ?

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I was also thinking it may also be worth considering these factors;

1, Scope speed
2, Modern CMOS's sensitivity seems to have an overall flatter curve across the spectrum compared to most consumer CCD chips
3, Dynamic range
4, Perhaps most important of all, is the stupidly low noise floor

I think we are all struggling to get upto speed with CMOS and change our thought peceptions for integration times because we have all been using CCD for so may years until recently and have had to do 20/30 hour mamoth imaging sessions for narrowband images that CMOS easily does in 8/12hours on the whole :)

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Steve,

Yes it is clearly a different game, although my experience with mono CCDs was limited. A lot of the advice around relates to different times and different equipment.

On your request for broadband targets in the East above 30 degrees after dark, it is a bit hard to find something that takes advantage of the field of view. There are a couple of jobs looking at the Virgo cluster, but that does not get above 30 degrees until about 23:00. There is also a job looking at M104 and related galaxies in Leo. I think Ray may have submitted a Leo triplet job.

The whale and hockey stick are above 30 degrees by 21:30, but are tiny in the FOV. M44 is a little bit bigger in the field, but a little dull perhaps? Quite an open cluster and not very exciting star colours.

As I said, for some reason the submissions list has disappeared, so I can't check whether we have other broadband jobs in the queue, or decide what to do about the already submitted NB jobs. Can you see it OK? I was rather depending on that to keep an eye on what we have waiting to go.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Richard,

I can view the submissions list just fine here, have you done a hard refresh?

Kind regards, Phil.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
for speed this may help :)

Screenshot 2021-03-15 at 12.38.41.png

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
This season is always the hardest for a wide-field rig, nebs are either going or just about rising and galaxies are so small, roll on next month :)

The reason I ask is due to the long bout of bad weather we had and me wanting to get stuff finished before it sets, I have altered the parameters in our software for the next week to finish jobs that are setting so it is west prioritised. I simply wanted to see how it reacts to a couple of rising items being in the mix as well is all :)

However, I did not want to waste the imaging time with inappropriate or lame objects

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Richard, please disregard my last post. it was an error on my part in the code - I have now rectified this.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

Votes
Undo
Still not had enough time to assimilate everything that has been mentioned, but I can confirm that I too am unable to see the submission list. Well as of 5 minutes ago. Thanks for posting it for us to view Steve.

This season is not really suited to this setup and I believe Richard has already submitted the choicest galaxy clusters. So maybe submit those additional O3 and S2 subs for the Cone nebula Richard. Regarding the others I'd be agreeable to any of the suggestions, but slightly favour just adding extra subs for those 2 filters for anything that's setting. Others could be resubmitted assuming they haven't already been started. 

If I've missed anything out or misunderstood what's been discussed this morning please let me know.

Really great that all the data is flowing again. Easy for me to say since I don't have to deal with multiple setups and users. Hope you unshackle Phil at least once a day for his daily exercise Steve. :) 

Cheers everyone, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

Votes
Undo
Had to check it wasn't April 1st. Typical, after finishing my post I can now view the submission list. Whatever it was has gone away. 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Our posts must have crossed paths Ray, you posted just after I rectified it lol

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Still not had enough time to assimilate everything that has been mentioned, but I can confirm that I too am unable to see the submission list. Well as of 5 minutes ago. Thanks for posting it for us to view Steve.

This season is not really suited to this setup and I believe Richard has already submitted the choicest galaxy clusters. So maybe submit those additional O3 and S2 subs for the Cone nebula Richard. Regarding the others I'd be agreeable to any of the suggestions, but slightly favour just adding extra subs for those 2 filters for anything that's setting. Others could be resubmitted assuming they haven't already been started. 

If I've missed anything out or misunderstood what's been discussed this morning please let me know.

Really great that all the data is flowing again. Easy for me to say since I don't have to deal with multiple setups and users. Hope you unshackle Phil at least once a day for his daily exercise Steve. :) 

Cheers everyone, 

Ray 

I do miss your unique sense of humour Ray, I just love the dryness :)

Phils ok, he gets his hour a day in you yard ouside his cell!

You have not missed anything, apart from I need some direction, ie add extra to the ones you choose and direct me as to which ones to delete LOL

Agreed,  clear cloudless skies and no rain, are so refreshing if not hard work for the team behind the scenes!

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Aargh! I hate it when computers do that to me. The submissions list is working fine now. I will check what we have later today.
Votes
Undo
Hi Steve,

You do seem a happy bunch, so spill the beans, who assigned you your fictional promotion to Tea boy? 

In reply to your question, I have just one narrowband submission, Ic443, and I can confirm that I did my best to estimate the ratio of O3 and S2 to Ha on that one. When I submit the Veil, for next month I will do likewise. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

Cheers everyone, 

Ray 

I will go through the list later today and see what makes sense.
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Steve,

You do seem a happy bunch, so spill the beans, who assigned you your fictional promotion to Tea boy? 

In reply to your question, I have just one narrowband submission, Ic443, and I can confirm that I did my best to estimate the ratio of O3 and S2 to Ha on that one. When I submit the Veil, for next month I will do likewise. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray - we have a veil submitted. Which I was going to delete and resubmit. What is your preferred ratio? Steves suggested ratio Ha:S2:O3 of 1:2:1.5 ?
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I tried using Pixinsight LInearFit to balance the three filters using OIII as the reference. It produced this warmer rendition:
Ngc2264 linear fit to OIII_BN.png
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham