Thursday, 28 October 2021
  12 Replies
  0.9K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Would like to propose a 2-panel N/S mosaic to cover Sh2-240 (05h40+27) - the Spaghetti Nebula.  As far as I can see, its not in the current job list or queue.

It is faint, so it will need at least 60 x 300sec on each panel in dark skies (no or little moon), and possibly more.  So a significant investment of time.  Arguably it could be done using Pier 14, but the longer focal length should help with some of the detail in this nebula. Most shots on Astrobin are taken with shorter focal lengths.   

CS Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Not an easy object for a OSC camera however, it will be interesting to see how the 2600MC fairs :)

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Agreed, there are almost no photos on Astrobin taken of this object with an OSC.  This was part of the reason I wanted to give it a go.  However, if you - or other syndicate members - think it beyond the capabilities of the scope or site, I am happy to drop this request.  
Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Brian the fact the scope is F2.8 will make up for other short comings, personally I would do a quick 5 hours on one pane and see what you get. If the data is good or shows promise then shoot :)

At the very worst you get to scratch an itch!

steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Steve,  It may well both worth a try, but I don't see a lot of support from my fellow syndicate members.  Since I don't want to take up quality time on what might be a bit of a guess (particularly at a time when there are a number of other good targets up), I will withdraw the suggestion.  

I will, however, start another thread with another suggestion. 

Thanks

Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Brian

5 hours is not so much of a loss in my opinion but hey ho the choice is yours as they say :) Personally, I think it will do a pretty good job if I am honest

As for the other member

I think Vikas is away shooting time lapse and the others seem none to vocal about objects so shoot away and keep the pier busy :(

This is a pretty new syndicate but I do hope as it grows we get more active member like P14 P1

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Steve,  OK I will put onto the queue with 100 x 180sec on the Northern part of the mosaic and let's see how it works out. 
CS Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Brian 

I can leave as is with 180s subs but personally I would suggest 300s ?

the camera is 16bit so will cope well with any bright whilst getting on with collecting the dim stuff :) 

steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the suggestion. Lets do 60 x 300secs then.  It will be interesting to see what we get.

Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Brian, I also need to get a little more active on the forum.
But a big disadvantage of astrophotography is that the image process takes a lot of time.
But as far as your proposal is concerned, I completely agree with you. let's indeed try what yields 60 x 300 s.
If it is very promising then we also take the southern part of this very beautiful object in the northern sky and if necessary we do another 60 x 300s per panel.
Sh2-240 is the little version of the Gum nebula.

Greetings,Mike
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Mike, All good - thanks for your support.  Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi, I have just reviewed the data for Sh2-204.  Although it was taken during dark of moon, the star counts vary by a factor of 3 over the subs.  Only 20/130 subs have a pretty steady star count of 15000, but the rest have a mean of around 8000.  In effect, we have collected around (20 + 110/2 ) x 180 sec of data or 3.5hours.  I attach a quick reduction.  Its not very impressive and, even if the weather had been goo, I don't think it would have been significantly better.  

Consequently, I propose NOT to go ahead with the other part of the mosaic.  A useful lesson, for me at least, on the limitations of this rig and the site. 

Brian
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
With attachment
Attachments (1)
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham