Sunday, 21 February 2021
  33 Replies
  272 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
I have been messing around with options for the vast nebulosity around Cygnus. There is so much that if you try to build a mosaic - even with the wide field of Pier 14, you get a very large number of panes. A mega job.

However, although NGC 7000 is a common object, you can get a nice 3-pane mosaic with a wider and perhaps more interesting perspective. What do you think? We could then do the Sadr region separately and dream of the mega-mosaic.

NGC7000 3-pane.png

Pane, RA, DEC, Position Angle (East), Pane width (arcmins), Pane height (arcmins), Overlap, Row, Column
Center, 21hr 02' 44", 43º 41' 37", 90.00, 323.40, 215.40, 25%, -, -
Pane 1, 21hr 17' 37", 43º 38' 00", 92.57, 323.40, 215.40, 25%, 1, 1
Pane 2, 21hr 02' 44", 43º 41' 37", 90.00, 323.40, 215.40, 25%, 2, 1
Pane 3, 20hr 47' 51", 43º 38' 00", 87.43, 323.40, 215.40, 25%, 3, 1
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have processed the left pane as a stand-alone image of SH2-119 (Clamshell Nebula). The brighter star haloes could do with some work, but I think it is pretty good.
SH2-119.jpg
Attachments (1)
Votes
Undo
Richard,

That's excellent! Wow, have you given any thought to resubmitting it with revised coordinates, subject to set up staying unchanged for now.

Great colours, and personally I don't worry too much about the halos,. Certainly it would be nice if there was an easy way to improve them. Having looked at many Hubble images, they don't appear to be too concerned, so I take my lead from them.

Cheers,

Ray

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Richard,

That's excellent! Wow, have you given any thought to resubmitting it with revised coordinates, subject to set up staying unchanged for now.

Great colours, and personally I don't worry too much about the halos,. Certainly it would be nice if there was an easy way to improve them. Having looked at many Hubble images, they don't appear to be too concerned, so I take my lead from them.

Cheers,

Ray

Just submitted - job 1016. Hope I have the coordinates right this time!
Votes
Undo
Just resubmitted the Rho Ophiuchus as well.

We both got caught out by the angle of the camera, mind you it has finally forced me to make use of the mosaic option in Telescopius. Of course that's assuming I've entered the scope and camera data correctly! Thanks for resubmitting that job Richard, that is going to be such a fabulous mosaic.

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

Votes
Undo
Hi,

Just a thought. To Steve and Phil.

I know that this will involve additional work, but any possibility of downloading what has so far been collected for job 998, 28.6% completed. That job has now been replaced by Richard's submission 1014. I like making crops from some of the images we can get from this set up. When the new job 1014 is available then we could have the option to combine what we have collected from job 998 and 1014 and get a slightly better crop of the Pelican nebula. Pretty please. :)

Cheers,

Ray

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I think this is a better crop

SH2-119Crop.jpg
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have processed and cropped the centre panel.
Final(SM).jpg

Interesting that with the true dark areas between NA and Pelican you can clearly see that there is extensive nebulosity everywhere around the main emission.
Attachments (1)
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I finally got around to processing the narrowband 3-pane mosaic of the NGC 7000 region from SH2-119 to the Pelican.

I struggled to balance all three panes and I still have some pinched stars at the boundaries, but I am going to stop fiddling for a while and process some other data.

SHO_Mosaic_Final4.png

Had another version that for some reason I can't post, but I think I overdid the processing anyway and prefer this one.

[Edit] - Ha, managed to upload it!

SHO_Mosaic_Final3.png

I think I will try a two-panel of NGC7000 and the Pelican. SH2-119 is a much weaker nebula and changes the balance of the image.
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
We dont see the boundary of the 3 pane at all i think , only when you know where the default are :) , pixel peepers doom 

I ve just resubmit a NGC7000 mosaic as i didnt know that you have shoot one earlier this year. mine is in RGB-Ha 

Do you want me to delete this new mosaic do not spend hours of clear skies on the same target again ? 

i think that we should think about a way to store in a single pinned post on the forum ,  the differents target that are completed (with the jobs number) so that we wont reschedule same target again and again. What do you think of ? 
ex 
Target1 (Common name, Messier , NGC,..)  :  2 pane mosaic , job xxx yyy yyy , Date mm-yyyy , link of post if any
Votes
Undo
Hi Florent,

It was just Richard and I at the time that did that mosaic. I'm very happy to go ahead with this job, after all it will be different being a HaRGB image. Doing those particular panels first will make a very nice image, so maybe wait a short while then decide whether or not to do the other two. The view will be a bit different to what we had anyway due to camera orientation, besides being broadband with Ha added. I'd recommend a second submission to capture just O3 data so that we can also create a HOO version. Maybe Richard has some other suggestions. 

Regarding your idea to store a list of targets already done, unfortunately it's only the roboscopes team that can create and maintain these. :( Anyway it's always going to require a bit of give and take by all of us when it comes to imaging something that's already been done. It wouldn't be fair to anyone new not to be able to capture something just because it's already been done. Besides all of us can always do with as much data as possible and could take the opportunity to combine the new with what you have and create a better version. 

Thanks for your very thoughtful suggestion and I apologise for inadvertently putting you in an awkward situation which I never intended. We're all in this together and can, within reason, image what we want. 

Best regards,

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
There was no problem at all  Ray :) 
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Florent,

It was just Richard and I at the time that did that mosaic. I'm very happy to go ahead with this job, after all it will be different being a HaRGB image. Doing those particular panels first will make a very nice image, so maybe wait a short while then decide whether or not to do the other two. The view will be a bit different to what we had anyway due to camera orientation, besides being broadband with Ha added. I'd recommend a second submission to capture just O3 data so that we can also create a HOO version. Maybe Richard has some other suggestions. 

Regarding your idea to store a list of targets already done, unfortunately it's only the roboscopes team that can create and maintain these. :( Anyway it's always going to require a bit of give and take by all of us when it comes to imaging something that's already been done. It wouldn't be fair to anyone new not to be able to capture something just because it's already been done. Besides all of us can always do with as much data as possible and could take the opportunity to combine the new with what you have and create a better version. 

Thanks for your very thoughtful suggestion and I apologise for inadvertently putting you in an awkward situation which I never intended. We're all in this together and can, within reason, image what we want. 

Best regards,

Ray 

hi ray

out driving all day, just got home :(

I will ask Phil if we can put an area in the pier 1 or 14 area where you can put a list that you update or even an archived jobs section (just spitballing)

remember we only input them for you and let you all know when they are finished. So we don’t keep a list

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo

hi ray

out driving all day, just got home :(

I will ask Phil if we can put an area in the pier 1 or 14 area where you can put a list that you update or even an archived jobs section (just spitballing)

remember we only input them for you and let you all know when they are finished. So we don’t keep a list

Steve

Steve,

That would be great. We understand we will need to maintain it :-).

At the worst we could create a 'Jobs completed' thread where we just add each job and its details as they are finished and downloadable.

Richard
  • Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham