Saturday, 23 May 2020
  8 Replies
  210 Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Peter,

Hoping you get this and hoping you are ok too!

Just been looking at the IC 1396 data, and thanks for that, but I am not quite sure what to do with the data. First, the details on the subs reads 'no filter' as far as I can tell, and so I am not quite sure what to do in that regard - whether that is actually so, or if they are Ha or Lum or something. Even so, I don't think there are any flats for pier 5 yet anyway - I could stack them but without the flats that would be trickier. In fact I don't think there are any calibration files for pier 5 at all, which is partly why I did not process the other data for this pier in recent times, e.g. NGC 1333 and M31. Also, a number of the 60s subs seem to have large triangular artefact creeping across them, like the top of a roof. Further to that, sorry!, the detail in the images is a bit on the low side, even the 150s subs, so I was wondering if the imaging length actually needed to be longer. Sorry about all this and also if I am getting something wrong here - just trying to work it out. Maybe it is just me.

Thanks as ever.

Simon
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Simon

Pier 5 has a colour cmos camera on it so will not have filter names. These images I think will need to be processed differently. As a CCD experienced person myself, CMOS is a different land for me too - lots to learn...

Regards

Mark
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Simon

I just had a quick play - sort of 'follow my instinct' as I have not ventured into single shot colour before, but here are the steps I took (by the way - all this in PixInsight - not sure what software you use...) - all of these steps shown in the attached image:

1. Run a star alignment on the subs
2. Run debayer with RGGB set as the mosiac pattern
3. Integrate the image
4. Auto stretch the image - gives a yellow result (but don't worry about that)
5. ScreenTransferFunction - with link channels deselected
6. HistogramTransformation to save the changes
7. BackgroundNeutralisation
8. ColorCalibration

This gives you a feint colour image that needs the rest of the data added (I only did a small selection) and further processing

Have to go back to work mode now - but look forward to comparing notes as we find out how to do this properly ;-)

Happy to be corrected by the Roboscopes team if any of the above initial steps wrong...

Regards

Mark
Attachments (1)
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Mark,

Thanks so much for all your efforts, you are kind! I appreciate you letting me know that this was a CMOS camera, I had not realised, which does mean there are no filters - as you say - and that makes a lot of difference! I actually have a CMOS camera, a ZWO 294 colour, and with that camera I use flats, and darks - but no biases. So, with everything in mind, I do not understand why they have not posted flats and darks for this, as I am sure they are needed - I always use them for mine... I think it is great that your method works for processing/stacking them and that is good to know, and I use Pixinsight too, but I just find it a bit baffling! Any thoughts. Take care and thanks again! Simon
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
SImon

Ah - you could teach me how to process them then :-)

With the quality of the sky out there we may not need much in the way of calibration. With CCD cameras you do get defects but I have managed to get good results from Robo data without flats, although there are bias and darks for most other piers.

Perhaps that data is in progress?

Regards

Mark
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The Flats, Darks and Bias for Pier 5 are now available :)

Sorry for the delay guys.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[size=100]Mark,

Thanks for getting back to me, you have been tremendous in your support. It is great that various calibration files and stuff are now starting to flow so it seems as though all our concerns are getting sorted. Please take care and I hope to be in touch in the future.

Simon[/size]
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
[size=100]Thanks Phil for all your super help in this, and I am so grateful to you and the team for all your amazing work ethic and effort. Hopefully I will process some stuff soon!

Simon[/size]
3 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Sorry Simon I missed this post...but looks like you have your questions answered.

Peter Shah - Collimation & Telescope servicing.
Visit my personal imaging website at astropix.co.uk
For Image Processing Tutorials

We can supply your new high quality Newtonian or Dall Kirkham Astrograph

Peter Shah
Roboscopes Observatory Controller

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!
Submit Your Response

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road