Thursday, 24 November 2022
  12 Replies
  1K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe

Hi, 

A suggestion for a mosaic around the Rosette nebula. The final result would be a 2 x 2 image, but because there is already a submission for the nebula itself only 3 additional panes will be required. Using the existing submission means a small fraction of the monoceros loop would be cut off but hardly worth bothering about. 

The existing job, 1933 submitted by Darius, will form the bottom right pane. The mosaic which extends west will also extend northwards towards the Cone nebula region. It will not only include the SNR shown in the title, but also a fairly recently discovered planetary, StDr 13.

Mosaics of 3 or more panes on syndicate piers now require approval by the members and I believe this is the first such submission. It will be interesting to see what qualification will be necessary to have approval granted, particularly if there are no responses. :) Steve never mentioned any criteria such as votes and how long a vote will be open for, so we should find out.

You can view a couple of examples of the fov by searching for the SNR in the title within astrobin.

In the mean time any comments and/or suggestions are welcomed.

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Ray,

this should yield a very nice image ... I am all for it ... of course. Given that the southwestern pane is already planned, this should be a fairly straightforward project.

Cheers

Manuel

Manuel
Roboscopes General Technical

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Go for it - 

I fear that weather has put paid to my plans for the spaghetti nebula this year.  So I may put this on pause until next year.....

Paul

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hi Ray,

I'm also interested by this one

Nicolas

Votes
Undo

Hi Paul, 

Please don't do that, it looks like there is still plenty of time. In 3 months it will still be accessible for several hours each night, and once the weather starts cooperating that job will be completed relatively quickly given the amount of time available each night.

By having it as a mosaic means that unlike before it will not just about squeeze into the frame, and I think will look a lot better. The previous job meant that too much of it was affected by the bad star shapes as well. I'm looking forward to this job and another advantage over the last attempt is the far superior oxygen filter now fitted and the need for less of that data. 

Thanks Manuel, Paul and Nicolas for the support on this. 

Cheers,

Ray

PS

The search term in astrobin needs to be "SNR G205.5" with the one space after SNR, otherwise it will not find anything. Apologies for not checking that prior to my original post.

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

Votes
Undo

Hello Ray,

I also like the idea of a mosaic very much. It seems that Peter has not yet entered my job 1933 on the pier. If you would like, I can request that my job be removed so they can better plan the mosaic.

regards
Darius

Votes
Undo

Hi Darius, 

That's strange, I hadn't realised that it isn't yet in the queue. Thanks for the suggestion as that would give us the opportunity to submit the mosaic with a very slight repositioning of the pane containing the Rosette. It's not quite central in the pane but I've  positioned it as far away from the bottom right corner as I can where the star shapes appear to be worse.

I'm attaching a new mosaic with the coordinates using a camera rotation of 179°, would someone let me know if that is correct. You will immediately notice that the mosaic is 2 x 4, however, we would only need to use the first 4. That will give the Monoceros loop as suggested. The additional 4 panes are there for the coordinates of a future Cone nebula mosaic, perhaps next year, which would join the 2 together should anyone wish to do so. Those coordinates are subject to no change in the camera angle in the meantime.

Cheers, 

Ray 

Votes
Undo

Hello Ray,

I already asked to remove the job 1933 a few days ago in the Nexus section. Unfortunately, the job was added to the queue anyway, but not started yet. I hope the job will be removed before the first hours are recorded.

Regards

Darius

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

I think the decision has already been made by majority vote, but for what it is worth - go for it!

1 year ago
·
Votes
Undo

Hello Ray,

I already asked to remove the job 1933 a few days ago in the Nexus section. Unfortunately, the job was added to the queue anyway, but not started yet. I hope the job will be removed before the first hours are recorded.

Regards

Darius

I missed that Darius, please accept my apologies. - It's now actioned.

Phil McCauley
Roboscopes Website Admin

Votes
Undo

Hi Darius and Phil,

Excellent timing Phil and thanks.

I do have an adjusted set of coordinates to have incorporated Darius's original job and that only involved a very small change anyway. But now that Phil has replied I will submit my original coordinates shown earlier. I will however keep an eye on the queue before making the submissions. That will be once more of the current jobs are further along. 

Cheers,

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

Votes
Undo

Hello Ray,

I just noticed that you haven't submitted the mosaic yet. Or I have overlooked it. Are you still planning to submit it? If not, I would resubmit the Rosette Nebula job.

Darius

Votes
Undo

Hello Darius, 

Thanks for reminding me about your original submission which to be honest I'd forgotten about. I had put a reminder on a calendar for the middle of this month to check how jobs were progressing and make the mosaic submission, but only if a lot of the current jobs were well ahead. 

Realistically given how bad things have been of recent it would probably be best to abandon this mosaic. This will help to ensure that jobs already submitted get completed before their targets start to set. I was looking forward to the Spaghetti nebula mosaic and hope there is still time to capture it. 

I'd be grateful if you would resubmit your original job and hope that there is still plenty of time for it to be completed along with the others.

Thanks again Darius for the reminder. 

Cheers and CS, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!