Sunday, 03 October 2021
  51 Replies
  1.2K Visits
Votes
Undo
  Subscribe
Hello all 
i m strugglin since a few hours to process the file of job 1196. 

i cant find a way to calibrate correctly Lum file .
all the fits of this job are shoot in september so i use the latest calib file .

Here is the result of the integration with WPBB with Lum file and calib file: 
Lumintegrationwithflat.png
We can see lots of dust donut 

i try all sort of combination of calib file , corrected flat film by adding some value , it doesnt work 

after a while i integrated without any flats : 
lumintwithoutflat.png

And here is my flat file used before : 
LumFlat.png

we can see that the big donut low-left , is not exactly at the same place on the flat file than on the integration file. 
it is obvious if you switch rapidily between frames in pixinsight. 

I think that the cam has rotate since the flat have been shoot or that dust have move . 

As it is an open scope , i think that flats have to be taken more more often than one each 6months
Also , with this camera , you should take way longer flat .  the LUM flat are 0.02s long exposure. I ve read that on some cmos camera , very short exposure raise problem. I think you should try a dimmer flat planel and have flats shoot with +1s long exposure . 

i dont know if somebody have succeeded to deals with L file on this scope but if yes, please share the recipe :) 

thansk 
florent
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Morning

I spoke to Pete last night and he said he will do a stack and calibration himself and get back to you :)

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Things to do, so little time!

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am downloading this data set atm, may I ask is this the only data set effected or do I need to look at any others on Pier1? 

Peter Shah - Collimation & Telescope servicing.
Visit my personal imaging website at astropix.co.uk
For Image Processing Tutorials

We can supply your new high quality Newtonian or Dall Kirkham Astrograph

Peter Shah
Roboscopes Observatory Controller

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
All of the LRGB datasets (NGC 772, Darco, M74 for example) that I have tested are affected.
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thanks for the lightning response.....is it just the LRGB or have you noticed it on any of  the narrow band? Now I know there is more that just this data set I will be taking a good  at this tomorrow see if we can figure out what is going on.

Peter Shah

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I didnt see anything on the narrowband. 
for LRGB, its mainly L and some residual of Green (or blue i cant remember) Red is fine as far as I can tell
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Thank you for the additional info....I will go through them and see if we can solve the problem

Peter Shah

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Pete and myself have been testing Pier-1 this afternnon and this if what we think is going on....

The new HB filter that was fitted had a slightly deeper cell than the other filters and although we did check when we were in Spain and it seemed to rotate just fine. When the scope is pointing up in imaging mode the cell is dragging on the filter wheel internal wall and this is causing slight variations in final filter positioning.

Whilst not enough to make any difference to the subs, flats however are a different ball game :(

what we propose is

1, we are going to have the HB filter removed from the filter wheel and if that does not work
2, we will replace the wheel whith another we have in Spain already

I would rather try the HB filter removal first as this wheel has 3nm Astrodons while my spare wheel is not as luxuriously appointed

Steve

Please ignore my dylexia wherever possible, just be thankful I can control my Tourettes ;)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yeah looks like we are not using the Hb anyway. I agree we should remove it first.

Do you think we can pause any LRGB target before we confirm there is no issue with the flats?
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Yeah looks like we are not using the Hb anyway. I agree we should remove it first.

Do you think we can pause any LRGB target before we confirm there is no issue with the flats?

The HB filter has been removed, I suggest a quick test object in LRGB this evening

1, something that is up high
2, ask it to ignore moon avoidence
3, say 20 x 60s subs in each filter
4, I will ask pete to do a new set of LRGB flats

You can then check to see if it has solved the issue

Am I ok to put a test job in the pier, please let me know ?

Cheers

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I have no objection. Please do it
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
The weather was not very good last night so I will do the test this evening

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
hello 
i ve process the test file . 

thats ok , no dust on processed files
Capture d’écran 2021-10-31 154400.png  

the result 

RGB.jpg

too bad we have to throw away all files since this summer.... 
2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
hello 
i ve process the test file . 

thats ok , no dust on processed files
[attachment]Capture d’écran 2021-10-31 154400.png[/attachment] 

the result 

[attachment]RGB.jpg[/attachment]

too bad we have to throw away all files since this summer.... 

Well at least once we found the problem we solved it quite quickly :)

The big question is now, do we just re submit the jobs ?

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well , the problem was raise 04 september.

i think we should have a fresh new start on all the current jobs

in my minds just now , i ve lost envy to process files of this piers, just to discover big donut on file , to try to correct the flat to get descent data before throwing away all L files. 

my point of view
Votes
Undo
Florent, 

Thanks for doing that for us. Regarding the earlier submissions some might at least give us something by just using the RGB subs, but I'm not sure if we could salvage them by just capturing new Luminance. 

There is certainly a lot to go back through and perhaps we should all evaluate the ones we have submitted to share the load. 

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Well , the problem was raise 04 september.

i think we should have a fresh new start on all the current jobs

in my minds just now , i ve lost envy to process files of this piers, just to discover big donut on file , to try to correct the flat to get descent data before throwing away all L files. 

my point of view

Yes I agree it’s not exactly ideal and it’s a drawback of remote imaging as you are not actually in front of your equipment to see the issue first hand 

The only way to deal with an issue like this is to eliminate causes one step at a time. This is what we did. I am afraid checking flats, taking new flats and testing and re testing takes time.

What I was referring to when I said “sorted quickly” was. Once we highlighted the actual  issue it was resolved very quickly 

However, it took all the other work beforehand from users and us to get to this stage with a resolution that worked.

None the less I will take a proper look at this when I am back at work next week and come up with some kind of solution to the data problem :)

Steve 

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
I am back at work now, not 100% fighting fit  but I am back at least :)

In the meantime I have given the "Flat Issue" some thought and I may have a solution for the lost data.

While Pier-1 starts to now do its thing and play catchup on new data I share some data sets from my other piers to make up for the hiccup ?

Please let me know if you find this solution acceptable or indeed if you have an alternative suggestion I am all ears :)

Kind regards

Steve

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

Votes
Undo
Hi Steve, 

That's nice of you and I'm for anything that doesn't cost me. :)

I first did a double read of your post to make sure it said datasets from the 'piers'. I wouldn't be too keen to receive data from your private collection of celebrity closeups. :(

Cheers, 

Ray 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

2 years ago
·
Votes
Undo
Hi Steve, 

That's nice of you and I'm for anything that doesn't cost me. :)

I first did a double read of your post to make sure it said datasets from the 'piers'. I wouldn't be too keen to receive data from your private collection of celebrity closeups. :(

Cheers, 

Ray 

It's just Moles and chins Ray, as you know :)

Steve
Roboscopes Tea Boy

Votes
Undo
Exactly! 

Ray
Roboscopes Guinea Pig

• Page :
There are no replies made for this post yet.
Be one of the first to reply to this post!

Follow Us

Newsletter

Proud to use

• FLI

• 656 Imaging

• 10 Micron

• Planewave

• ZWO

Company Details:

Roboscopes

802 Kingsbury Road
Birmingham